Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

Do you qualify for a student visa?

On Behalf of | Sep 22, 2021 | Visas

When you head to America to study or train in a field of expertise, you will need to apply for and receive a student visa first. You have F-1 and M-1 visas to choose from, with F-1 visas applying toward those who wish to attend an American university and M-1 visas for those attending vocational or community colleges.

Of course, you must successfully complete either application in order to receive the visa in question. To this end, it is important to understand the process of applying.

M-1 and F-1 visas

The U.S. Department of State examines all aspects of student visas for incoming hopeful students. First, regardless of whether you apply for an M-1 or F-1 visa, you need to meet basic qualifications first. For example, you must show that you can speak English at a proficient level first, or prove that you have enrolled in a class for English mastery.

Next, you need to choose full-time enrollment, i.e. you cannot go to school part-time and also hold a part-time job or spend the rest of your free time as a tourist. You also need the approval of the Student and Exchange Visitor’s Program.

Proving financial security and home stability

You also must prove that during your stay in America, you have the means to support yourself financially. Not only that, but you must show that you have a home in your country of origin to return to once your study program has come to an end.

Regardless of which option you choose, it can help to have legal guidance along the way. This ensures you get all your paperwork done right the first time, expediting you through the visa process.