Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

How can you bring your children to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Apr 11, 2022 | Immigration Law

After arriving in the U.S., most immigrants want their children to have the same chance at a new life. If you want your children to come to the U.S., you may be able to petition for them to enter the country.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, children include any unmarried people under the age of 21. Additionally, you can petition for unmarried people over 21 and married people. In the case of married people and those with children, you can include the spouse and children.

How do you prove your relationship?

You can petition for your child’s citizenship if you are the genetic mother, father, stepparent or adoptive parent. All you require to prove yourself as the genetic mother is a birth certificate.

However, as the genetic father, you need a copy of the child’s mother’s birth certificate and marriage certificate. If you are a divorcee or widower, you have to include the termination of marriage documents. If you did not marry your child’s mother, you could still petition for your children if the law of your child’s residence recognizes you as the legitimate parent.

Stepparents have to produce a copy of the birth certificate and marriage certificates. Adoptive parents need to have the birth certificate and adoption decree and legal and physical custody for at least two years.

How do you file the petition?

To file a petition, you have to submit the appropriate form. U.S citizens petitioning for their children under 21 to submit Form I-130 while the child submits Form I-485. For children over the age of 21, you file Form I-130 and your children file Form I-485 once a visa becomes available.