The U.S. accepts thousands of immigrant workers for many various occupations every single year through employment based visas. For example, these jobs include artists, professionals in the medical field, cultural exchange partakers, information and technology specialists, scientists, athletes, agricultural workers, and other various laborers. Any and all foreign workers must receive permission to legally work in the U.S. Also, every employment category for admission has individual specifications and requirements, conditions, and authorized periods of residence.

Therefore, it is vital that you follow the terms of your application or petition for admission and visa very carefully. Hence, any violation can have the outcome of removal (deportation) and/or denial of coming back into the United States. Some of the employment based visas offered to foreign workers by the U.S. are:

Temporary (Non-immigrant) Worker

Temporary workers seek to come into the U.S. for a temporary period of time for a specific purpose. Non-immigrants receive permission to enter the U.S. temporarily. Finally, once temporary workers are in the U.S., they may only work or be here for the reason their non-immigrant visa specifies.

Permanent (Immigrant) Worker

A permanent immigrant worker is someone who is given permission to live and have permanent employment in the U.S.

Students and Exchange Visitors

Students and Exchange visitors may, under specific circumstances, obtain employment in the United States. They need permission from an authorized official at their academic institution. Authorized officials are called a Designed School Official (or DSO) for students and the Responsible Officer (or RO) for exchange visitors.

Information for Employers and Employees

Employers need to confirm that an immigrant who they plan to give work to or continue to give work to in the United States has authorization to acquire work in the United States. Moreover, certain individuals may have employment authorization as an outcome of their immigration status. They include those permitted to enter the U.S. as permanent residents, granted asylum or refugee status, or allowed admittance in work-related non-immigration classifications. Also, other foreigners seeking employment in the United States might need to apply individually for employment permissions and rights.

Temporary Visitors for Business

Are you coming into the United States on a temporary basis for businesses purposes? You will need to get a visa as a temporary visitor for business (B-1 visa). However, if you qualify for entrance into the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, you may not need to do this.

Employment in the United States can be an exciting opportunity. However, you don’t have to let intimidation or confusion about the process stop you. Furthermore, you don’t have to find the answers and wade through the process on your own. For a complimentary, confidential consultation about employment based visas, call the Lee Law Firm at (404) 892-8300.