Any process involving immigration can be complicated. However, the F-1 student visa application process is in all reality not that difficult to go through, especially if you have the right guidance and support. Your immigration attorney can help you to understand the steps necessary to take when filing a F-1 student visa application.
Here are the ABC’s of filing an F-1 Student Visa Application:
- Apply and receive acceptance into a school: the very first thing you need to do is apply and get acceptance into a school approved by the SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program).
- Be aware of necessary fees. After you are accepted as a student, you’ll need to pay the SEVIS fee so you can be put into the SEVIS system. After this, your school, college, or university will give you a Form I-20. You will need this form when you go through your F-1 visa interview.
- Complete your forms and prepare for the visa interview: Know that the process for applying for your F-1 student visa can vary with each U.S. Embassy or consulate with which you are working. You will need to pay a non-refundable application fee for your student visa. You can go online to obtain a Form DS-160 visa application to complete and print for your F-1 visa interview.
What other tips can help you through the F-1 student visa application process?
If at all possible, you should file your F-1 student visa application at least three months before you plan to enter the United States for your studies. This will help you have plenty of time just in case there are any delays in your visa process.
You will also need to prepare for your interview. It helps if you think of the interview as you would think of a job interview. Dress suitably, and arrive a little early. Remember that first impressions are essential; practice giving answers to questions they may ask. If you are unable to speak English well or at all, it is okay for you to request an interpreter. Being able to speak English is not a requirement for attending school in the United States.
Some more helpful pieces of information to know for the process of obtaining a student visa include:
- Have some personal or professional recommendations and references on hand.
- Try a few practice runs for possible interviews with someone available to help you.
- Build up your financial resources as much as possible before, during, and after applying for your student visa.
- Don’t forget to bring your passport with photo ID to your interview.
- Expect to be fingerprinted for record-keeping purposes.
- Consider hiring an immigration lawyer to help you throughout the process to help you achieve your educational goals.
- Re-read each form you fill out to ensure you spelled everything correctly and that you didn’t forget anything.
Contact the Lee and Peynado Law Firm now with your questions about the F-1 student visa application. Get the support and information you need to succeed.