When it comes to answering the question of how to get a green card for your spouse, the answer is not as complicated as some may think. Are you a green card holder with lawful permanent residence status? Your spouse is eligible to enter the United States and obtain a green card too. But that’s only true as long as your marriage is legally recognized in the state or country where your marriage took place.

However, it is important to know your spouse will not be eligible right away for his or her green card. The green card process for your spouse may take several years with the average waiting period right around five years.

How to get a green card for your spouse…The Main Requirements

  1. Contact USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) to obtain and fill out a Form I-130.
  2. Submit your marriage license and your proof of green card visa holder status to USCIS.
  3. Once your spouse’s I-130 form has been approved, your spouse’s “priority date” will become current. Then you can expect to receive addition forms and guidelines from the National Visa Center.
  4. The U.S. consulate in your spouse’s native country will require you to go through additions steps, including a very important interview. During the interview, the applications and information provided will be assessed. Then a decision will be made on your spouse’s visa and your spouse will be told what to expect next.

Some additional factors to consider when learning how to get a green card for your spouse include:

  • You will need to prove your marriage is legitimate and for the right reasons. You will need to be prepared to prove this multiple times during your spouse’s green card process.
  • Your spouse needs to make sure no crimes or immigration violations are committed and there are no current charges against him or her, as that may have a big impact on your green card process.
  • Patience is vital as this process not only can take years, it likely will. Just be sure to fill out every form correctly and answer every question honestly. Then, turn every application or requested information in as soon as possible.

Feeling a little overwhelmed about how to get a green card for your spouse. Don’t worry, because you most certainly aren’t alone in your feelings or your situation. It is important to consider hiring an immigration lawyer to help you through the process. Immigration lawyers are able to give professional legal advice, help you fill out applications, and provide you with peace of mind as you are on this sometimes complicated and stressful journey.

For a complimentary, confidential consultation about how to get a green card for your spouse, call the Lee Law Firm at (404) 892-8300 now.