Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

Atlanta’s Best Immigration Attorneys

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  → Student And Employment Visas

Helping Immigrants Study And Work In The United States

Determining what kind of visa you need to study and work in the United States can be a challenging process. At Lee Immigration Law Group, we help people around the world get the visas they need to enrich both themselves and the United States. Our experienced immigration lawyers will be happy to help you navigate the legal process of obtaining a student and employment visa.

You can contact our Atlanta office now to schedule your consultation with a knowledgeable member of our firm. Call us at 404-892-8300 to set up your first meeting.

Understanding Student Visas

If you want to come to the United States and attend college, you must have a student visa. There are two different kinds of nonimmigrant student visas: F-1 visa and M-1 visa.

The only difference between F-1 and M-1 is:

The F-1 Student Visa allows you to enter the U.S. to be a student (this does not include part-time students) and attend the educational institute of your choice or in a language training program. The educational institute you are enrolled in must result in a degree, diploma or certificate. The educational institute also needs to be authorized by the United States Government to allow international students to attend.

The M-1 Student Visa is for vocational students interested in only vocational or other nonacademic programs.

Other than the above, you are eligible to apply for the F-1 or M-1 visa if you meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in a scholarly education program, a program pertaining to vocation or language-communication. Your school needs to be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, which is a division of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  • You must be a full-time student at your college or school.
  • You must be proficient in the English language or be enrolled in a course teaching English mastery.
  • You must have enough financial support to support yourself during your studies.
  • You must have a home in your own country and plan to return to it after your studies.

Working As An Immigrant Student

The employment aspect of these of nonimmigrant visas must pertain to each nonimmigrant’s area of study. Immigrants who have F-1 or M-1 visas also need to be authorized before beginning any off-campus employment by the Designated School Official as well as by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is important to note that immigrants under F-1 will not be allowed to work away from their campus during the first year their school is in session. Those studying under an F-1 visa may work on-campus as long as they follow and understand specific circumstances and limitations. Once the first year of study is finished, there are three types of employment available for immigrants under F-1, and all must pertain to their area of study.

Immigrants who have M-1 visas are only allowed to participate in practical training related to their field once they have completed all their courses.

Learn More By Speaking With An Attorney

Lee Immigration Law Group can help you obtain a student and employment visa, so you can receive the educational opportunities the United States has to offer. Our lawyers will help you understand which visa category is right for you, as well as help you with the entire nonimmigrant process.

Call us today at 404-892-8300 or send us a message to schedule your consultation.