If you want to come to the United States and attend college, you are required to have a student visa. There are two different kinds of non-immigrant student visas, F-1 and M-1. The only difference between F-1 and M-1 is:

The F-1 Student Visa allows you to enter the U.S. to be a student (this does not include part-time students) and attend the educational institute of your choice or in a language training program. The educational institute you are enrolled in must result in a degree, diploma, or certificate- the educational institute also needs to be authorized by the United States Government to allow international students to attend.

The M-1 Student Visa is for vocational students interested in only vocational or other nonacademic programs.

Other than the above, you are eligible to apply for the F-1 or M-1 visa as long as you meet certain criteria:

  • You need to be enrolled in a scholarly education program, a program pertaining to vocation or language-communication. Your school needs to be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
  • You must attend full-time to your college or school.
  • You must have a good handle on speaking English or be enrolled in courses teaching English mastery.
  • You need to posses enough financial support available to support yourself during your studies.
  • You must have a home in your own country, and plan to return to it after your studies.

The employment aspect to these types of non-immigrant visas must pertain to each non-immigrants area of study. Immigrants utilizing F-1 and M-1 also need to be authorized before beginning any off-campus employment by the Designated School Official as well as USCIS. It is important to note that immigrants under F-1 will not be allowed to work away from their campus during the first year their school is in session, but those studying under F-1 may work on-campus as long as they follow and understand specific circumstances and limitations. Once the first year of study is finished there are three types of employment available for immigrants under F-1 and all must pertain to their area of study.

In regards to immigrants utilizing M-1, they are only allowed to participate in constructive training once they have completed all their courses.

If you are interested in obtaining a student and employment visa so you can receive the great educational opportunities the United States has to offer, Lee & Peynado Immigration Law Group is able to help you understand which visa category is right for you as well as help you with the entire non-immigrant process.

Call Lee & Peynado Immigration Law Group today at (404) 892-8300 to schedule a free consultation.


Due to our small size and focused representation we are able to deliver extraordinary personalized service to both individuals and corporations.

Free Consultation