It is commonly known that getting a United States work visa can become a complicated process. On the bright side, the U.S. invites employment from foreign workers for just about every position and career. It doesn’t matter what career or employment position you are seeking. Do you have permission to work legally in the United States and an employer willing to sponsor you? Your chances of obtaining a work visa are very high.

One of the issues that make those hoops appear is when you are unsure of what type of employment visa you should apply for.  Next, you are unaware of the step to take beyond that.

First things first. Here’s a breakdown of the most commonly used work visas. Consider them as you begin this process for a United States work visa:

  • Temporary (Non-immigrant) Worker:  A temporary worker is a person seeking to come into the U.S. for a temporary period of time for a specific purpose.
  • Permanent (Immigrant) Worker:  A permanent immigrant worker is someone who is given permission to live and be employed permanently in the U.S.
  • Students and Exchange Visitors:  Students and Exchange visitors can, under specific circumstances, obtain employment in the United States.
  • Information for Employers and Employees:  Employers need to confirm that an immigrant who they plan to give work to or continue to give work to in the United States is authorized to acquire work in the United States. Individuals, such as those with permission to enter the U. S. as their permanent residence, granted asylum or refugee status, or allowed admittance in work-related non-immigration classifications, may have employment authorization as an outcome of their immigration status. Other foreigners seeking employment in the United States might need to apply individually for employment permissions and rights.
  • Temporary Visitors for Business:  Finally, to come into the United States on a temporary basis for businesses purposes, you will need to get a visa as a temporary visitor for business (B-1 visa). However, if you qualify for entrance into the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program that may not be the case.

Once you have determined the right United States work visa for your situation, here are the basic steps you can expect to take:

  1. Find an employment sponsor.
  2. Fill out the visa application/form required for the job you have found, as well as any additional paperwork.
  3. Submit requested information, such as birth certificates, education background, a passport with photo, and anything else required.
  4. Properly prepare for and attend all your interviews. Finally, dress appropriately and take these interviews very seriously.

There’s one thing that can really help you through the process of getting a United States work visa. That is consulting with an immigration lawyer. After all, it is their job to jump through hoops so you don’t have to. You don’t have to find answers about a United States work visa on your own. Contact the Lee Law Firm now, and get help.