There are several ways to get a green card, and some are easier than others. However, it is important to remember that certain qualifications and categories will apply to each and every process. Immigration law is complex and often complicated but not impossible.
The 5 easiest and most effective ways to get a green card are:
1. Priority Workers or EB-1 Visa: This pertains to people of national interest to the United States such as:
- People with exceptional abilities who excel in areas such as education, science, business, sports, and the arts.
- Professors and researchers who are able to produce proof of their aptitude and significant proficiency in their academic area.
- Executives and managers of international companies seeking easier branches, associations, and partnerships in the United States. It is important to note that requirements for this category are very high.
2. Relatives or Spouses:
Relation, such as children, siblings, and parents, as well as spouses of United States citizens or green card holders may be sponsored for family based immigration visas. There are two categories for this option:
- For close relatives of U.S. Citizens such as spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parent’s of citizens of the U.S. that are over 21.
- Green card holders have the right to sponsor close relatives as well. Their extent is limited but it can be done.
3. Diversity Visa Program:
This is perhaps the easiest way to obtain a green card. This program is quite literally a lottery the United States government gives to provide green cards for immigrants wanting to live in the U.S. While it takes a lot of luck, it is some people’s only way of getting a green card.
4. Special Immigrants and Religious Workers or EB-4 Visa:
This visa pertains to a select group of those who may come into the United States for political or religious reasons such as religious workers, employees of the United States government who are foreign, and former employees of the Panama Canal Company.
While this method does carry a stigma, when it is done for the right reasons, a green card obtained through marriage is a great way for couples of different nationalities to live and establish a life together in the United States.
Just remember that each and every immigration case is unique, and certain circumstances may be a factor in your chances of obtaining a green card. Hiring an immigration lawyer can be the best helping hand you can give yourself during the immigration process. Obtaining a green card is a life goal for many people, and depending on your life situation, your goal may be within reach.
Need help regarding ways to get a green card? Call (404) 892-8300 to schedule a free consultation.