Are you traveling here on business or as a student? You might be asking yourself, “How do I get a work visa for the USA?” We’ve taken the opportunity to compile a brief summary of things to think about before your arrival.

How To Get Work Visa For USA

All U.S. employers face legal requirements to confirm an employee’s eligibility to work here in the United States. Let’s say the potential employee is not a citizen or documented permanent resident. They will need a work permit, otherwise known as an EAD: Employment Authorization Document. The EAD is proof of employment eligibility for non-residents.

If you applied for, and accepted, a job from a U.S. based company, their legal department will likely help. They can assist you with getting a work visa for the USA and with obtaining the documentation. Generally, you will apply for an H-1B visa. It will allow you to enter and stay in the U.S. for up to three years.

Are you looking for information on how to get a work visa for the USA under other scenarios? Please continue reading below:

How to Get Your Employment Authorization Document

Your EAD, or work permit, is issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is proof you have been authorized to work in the U.S. for a set period of time. It is issued as a plastic card, generally valid for up to one year. But don’t worry. The card is renewable after a year and can be replaced in the event it is lost or stolen.

Eligibility for a Work Permit (EAD)

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you do not need to apply for or obtain a work permit. Your citizenship documents, or green card, function as your permission to obtain employment in the U.S. If you do not fall into either of those two categories, you will want to continue reading the eligibility requirements below.

Eligibility for an EAD applies to following types of foreign workers:

  • Asylum seekers, or individuals previously granted asylum
  • Students
  • Refugees
  • Anyone in the final stage of obtaining their green card
  • Anyone who qualifies for TPS: Temporary Protected Status
  • Fiancés and spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Dependents of officials from foreign governments
  • Spouses or children (age restricted) of exchange visitors
  • Other qualifications depending on circumstance

How To Get Work Visa For USA If You Are Temporarily Visiting the USA on Business?

In this particular scenario, you will need to obtain a visa specific to temporary visits related to business, otherwise known as a B-1 visa. You may qualify for entry without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program. If your stay is ninety days or less, and you come from one of the thirty-five qualifying countries, you may be eligible to travel without a visa.

For a complimentary, confidential consultation about how to get work visa for USA, call the Lee Law Firm at (404) 892-8300 now.